The Kandos Museum collection presents five main themes:
- Industrial Kandos – the cement works and infrastructure that supported it, including coal mines, the railway, Kandos weir and other local industries
- Kandos Modernism – the lifestyle, design, technology, architecture and fashion that furnished a wealthy, early 20th century industrial town
- Kandos Indigenous communities – the stories and lives of local Indigenous people.
- Kandos war service – records, photographs, objects and information about local servicemen and women
- Kandos social history – everyday domestic life, local families, the migrant community, businesses, schools, community groups, community services and facilities, sporting associations, festivals and other social infrastructure.
The Kandos Museum Collection Policy outlines the procedures for the collection, management and storage of the museum’s collection.