About the building
The building was originally the Kandos Methodist Church, built in 1919. It was the first Spanish Mission style church built in Australia.
At the time most churches in Australia were built in the ornate Gothic or Romanesque revival style, but this one was unusual – a modern concrete building with a flat roof and a rectangular floor plan. The cement works donated the concrete for the building. Its modernist style was derived from the Methodist church in the American home town of the manager of the cement works, Floyd S. Richards.
The building is listed on the Australian Heritage Database.